Communications Coordinator (Full-time)
Deadline for Application: Friday, June 22, 2018 at 5:00 pm EST
The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is Canada’s leading freedom-fighting NGO, since 1964. Along with the ACLU, we’re part of a network of global-leading civil society groups, called INCLO. CCLA intervenes in the courts, testifies before legislatures, advocates through all media, and engages in activism and outreach across Canada.
You thrive in an environment where everyday is different, you’re a team player, you can handle multiple priorities, you’re detail-oriented and have an “all hands on deck” mentality. You’re hungry and humble: no task is beneath you. You are a big talent but seek more experience. Working closely with and reporting to the Executive Director (the organizational lead on fundraising and communications), you’re one of a team of 10 staffers, and many volunteers. You’ll help triage media requests to the “talent”/spokesperson, and you’re inputting/analyzing data, editing/publishing media products and membership communications. You will help us earn media and mentions in print, radio, TV and online. For salary information, see http://bit.ly/commsbux.
Programs used: You’re fluent in Google Suite, Slack, Constant Contact, WordPress or Drupal, and you’ll pick up quickly Meltwater, Micharity, Canva, Adobe, Event Brite. Obviously you’re comfortable on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Hootsuite/equivalent and Reddit.
- Implement and coordinate media/communications inputs/outputs with fundraising inputs/outputs: collaborate with staff on material, design information, coordinate with third party organizations and administration on all logistics including print, mailing, donor profiles, reply cards, gift codes, and data input.
Mainstream Media Outputs and Inputs
- Managing media influencers and sources for CCLA and managing media requests. You will help us earn media and mentions in print, radio, TV and online.
- Communications liaison for the Canadian Cross-Border Legal Coalition (CCBLC) and the International Network for Civil Liberties Organizations (INCLO).
- Write and distribute media products and prepare information for media kits. Longer term, you (possibly) broaden and maintain effective working relationships with local and national media representatives, including cultivating media contacts, pitching stories, and arranging interviews.
Online and Social Media
- Manage and maintain CCLA’s website: adding content and updating current information.
- Manage and collect content for various newsletters and e-publications (mostly automated by Meltwater); design & distribute to CCLA’s network of members and supporters
- Implement social and online media strategies and tactics for the organization’s campaigns
- Uphold organization’s brand image and serve as the brand “voice” on social media.
- Manage the organization’s social media strategy by expanding its presence and increasing visibility, awareness and traffic across various platforms.
- Maintain analytics for social media and website including: tracking traffic, engagement, followers, likes, shares, behaviour, audience, user visits, sessions by city/country etc.
- Uphold communications calendar of activities, goals, evaluation, budget, timelines, events, social media, newsletters, national days and other important dates
- Notify other staff when certain articles are published that we would like to comment on and coordinate statement or other action needed
Event Management (annual/community events)
- Occasionally coordinate special community events
- Occasionally secure and collaborate on the following: venue, vendors, speakers or honourees, event registration and ticketing, sponsorship, silent auction, event logistics, graphic design, promotional and social media materials, and event follow-up.
- A fearless passion for human rights issues.
- Cultural sensitivity, LGBTQ+ positivity.
- Exemplary planning, multi-tasking and time management skills; you meet all deadlines.
- Discretion and confidentiality.
- High level verbal and written communication skills.
Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com (subject line: Communications Job Application).
While we thank all applicants, due to the volume of applications received, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.