Skip to main content

Please see below for some frequently asked questions.

Donor Questions

What does CCLA do?

CCLA is a national civil liberties organization that was constituted to promote respect for and observance of fundamental human rights and civil liberties in Canada. To advance these objectives we participate in litigation as a party and as an intervenor; speak to government committees preparing legislation at provincial and federal levels; hold public meetings and rallies; make representations before public inquiries; conduct surveys of people’s experiences with various laws; publish articles and appear regularly in the mass media; hold seminars and have education programs for students as young as grade 3 through high school, university and law school.

Are donations to CCLA tax-deductible?

Yes! The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is a registered charity (Registration number 754802288 RR0001)

How does CCLA fund its cases?

CCLA raises funds from the general public and private donors. In order to maintain our independence, we do not accept money from the government. The lawyers who do work for us usually do so on a pro bono basis.

How do I make a donation to CCLA?

Please click here to visit our donation page. You may also call us at 416-646-1407 ext. 225 or email The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is a registered charity and is able to issue tax receipts for donations. (Charitable registration number 754 802 288 RR 0001)

What is the difference between CCLA and CCLET?

CCLA was incorporated in 1964. CCLET was created by CCLA as its charitable educational research arm in 1967. CCLA is focused on litigation, civil liberties monitoring/research and advocacy, while CCLET engages in public education, including speeches, presentations, op-eds, as well as delivering programmes in schools and faculties of education. The two organizations share staff and resources.

I donated but have not received my tax receipt yet. How can I get a copy?

If you called us to make a donation, you will receive it within the quarter. If you made a donation online, your receipt was emailed to you automatically. You can request that a PDF tax receipt be emailed to you again if you are unable to find your receipt. If you donated by mail but would like to receive your (PDF) tax receipt via email, please contact us. Monthly donors will receive a year-end cumulative tax receipt for all monthly donations in January for the previous year (e.g. for your donations from January to December, you will receive your receipt in January of the following year).

Legal Questions

What does it mean when CCLA gains “intervenor status” on a case?

“Intervenor status” is a legal term that means a court has made a formal decision to grant CCLA the right to participate in the proceedings before the court and provide comment on the legal issues being considered. The case may be between two private parties, or between the government and a private party. CCLA seeks to intervene and make legal arguments on civil liberties issues on behalf of all Canadians so that their rights are protected, preserved, and perhaps even expanded.

How long does it take, on average, to see a case through to completion?

Case length varies considerably and is influenced by many factors, such as level of court and jurisdiction. The complexity of the facts, legal arguments, and issues can also affect the duration of a case. Decisions in Supreme Court of Canada cases are frequently handed down between six and twelve months from the date of the hearing, though in some cases decisions may take longer.

I am a lawyer. Can I do pro bono work for CCLA?

If you are a lawyer interested in doing legal work for the CCLA please write to for more information.

I am a law student. Can I obtain an articling position at CCLA?

Our ability to take articling students is funding-dependent and can vary from year to year. For more information contact the career centre at your law school or email us at

Can I get a copy of one of your legal submissions?

Many of our factums are available on our website.

en_CAEnglish (Canada)