FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — TORONTO, ON — The Divisional Court determined the other week that the applications of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario will be heard together. CCLA had originally secured a date of Sept. 24, 2018 for a hearing before the Divisional Court, but now both applications will be heard in November.
The Court has given us a full-day hearing before a panel of three judges. Both CCLA’s and ETFO’s applications will be heard on November 23. The new schedule leading up to the hearing is as follows:
- CCLA materials were filed on August 23.
- ETFO materials served by October 5.
- Attorney General’s responding affidavit materials in both cases to be filed by November 5.
- Any cross examinations will during the weeks of November 5 or November 12.
- Applicants’ factums in both cases to be delivered on or by November 14 (seven days before the hearing).
- Respondent’s factum(s) in both applications to be delivered on or by November 19 (four days before the hearing).
- A full day hearing takes place on November 23.
Q&A with AN EXPERT
To answer some of your most pressing questions, we’ve put together a new YouTube video with Cara Zwibel, CCLA’s Director of Fundamental Freedoms. Below, she talks about why we are taking on this legal challenge, what the legal grounds are and more. Watch it below!