Taking the fight for inclusive sex-education in Ontario to the steps of Queen’s Park

August 14, 2018

On Tuesday, Aug. 14, thousands of Ontario teachers and activists gathered at Queen’s Park in Toronto to protest the government’s repeal of the 2015 sex-education curriculum.

The message was clear: The 2015 curriculum protects students, informs them of their rights, and, for the first time, recognizes the existence of same-sex relationships and families.

Even if the government wishes to review the 2015 sex-ed curriculum, there is no need to repeal the existing one until such a review is completed.

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association was proud to stand with teachers, students and others who are fighting for an inclusive and informative sex-ed curriculum in Ontario.

Last week, we issued a letter to Ontario’s Minister of Education Lisa Thompson, and we have not received a response to it, nor have we received a directive on sex-ed from the government. The repeal is a dangerous and discriminatory act and we will take the fight to the Superior Court of Justice if we have to.

 

Event hIghlights

CCLA stands with the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario and all others who are fighting for an inclusive sex-ed curriculum, free of discrimination.

The Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario has said that it will “vigorously defend” teachers who teach the modern 2015 sex-ed curriculum.

“We will stand shoulder to shoulder with you, we will go to the Superior Court of Justice, and we will stop the (1998) curriculum in its tracks,” says CCLA’s Michael Bryant.

IN THE NEWS

CityNewsOntario elementary teachers protest sex-ed rollback at Queen’s Park

CBC Toronto: Proposed sex-ed changes a violation of charter rights, CCLA says

Toronto Star: More legal challenges on the way over Ford government’s outdated sex-ed curriculum