Frequently Asked Questions


General Questions

Legal Questions


General Questions

What does CCLA do?

CCLA is a national civil liberties organization that was constituted to promote respect for and observance of fundamental human rights and civil liberties in Canada. To advance these objectives we participate in litigation as a party and as an intervenor; speak to government committees preparing legislation at provincial and federal levels; hold public meetings and rallies; make representations before public inquiries; conduct surveys of people’s experiences with various laws; publish articles and appear regularly in the mass media; hold seminars and have education programs for students as young as grade 3 through high school, university and law school.

Can you represent me in court?

CCLA does not generally take clients or represent people directly. Please contact the law society in your province for help finding a lawyer.

Can I make an appointment with one of your lawyers to discuss my legal problem?

CCLA does not generally represent people directly or provide legal advice. We recommend that you engage a lawyer in private practice or a community legal clinic to assist with your legal issues. If your lawyer believes that your case involves any issues where we might be helpful, the lawyer may contact us without fee.

Can CCLA fund my case?

CCLA does not fund individual cases.

How does CCLA fund its cases?

CCLA raises funds from the general public and private donors. In order to maintain our independence, we do not accept money from the government. The lawyers who do work for us usually do so on a pro bono basis.

How do I make a donation to CCLA?

Please click here to visit our donation page. You may also call us at 416-363-0321 or email The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is a registered charity and is able to issue tax receipts for donations. (Charitable registration number 754 802 288 RR 0001)

How do I make a donation to CCLET?

Please click here to visit our donation page. You may also call us at 416-363-0321 or email The Canadian Civil Liberties Education Trust is a registered charity and is able to issue tax receipts for donations. (Charitable registration number: 106 844 384 RR 0001)

I have a question about donations that isn’t answered here, where can I find more information?

You can visit our Donor FAQ page, which provides detailed information about different ways to make a donation, how to become a monthly donor, etc.

How can I arrange for a guest speaker in my class?

Please contact or 416-363-0321 to arrange for a speaker.

Legal Questions

What does it mean when CCLA gains “intervenor status” on a case?

“Intervenor status” is a legal term that means a court has made a formal decision to grant CCLA the right to participate in the proceedings before the court and provide comment on the legal issues being considered. The case may be between two private parties, or between the government and a private party. CCLA seeks to intervene and make legal arguments on civil liberties issues on behalf of all Canadians so that their rights are protected, preserved, and perhaps even expanded.

How long does it take, on average, to see a case through to completion?

Case length varies considerably and is influenced by many factors, such as level of court and jurisdiction. The complexity of the facts, legal arguments, and issues can also affect the duration of a case. Decisions in Supreme Court of Canada cases are frequently handed down between six and twelve months from the date of the hearing, though in some cases decisions may take longer.

I am a lawyer. Can I do pro bono work for CCLA?

If you are a lawyer interested in doing legal work for the CCLA please write to for more information.

I am a law student. Can I obtain an articling position at CCLA?

Our ability to take articling students is funding-dependent and can vary from year to year. For more information contact the career centre at your law school or email us at

Can I get a copy of one of your legal submissions?

Many of our factums are available on our website,