Thank you for supporting the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and Education Trust!
Below are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions from our donors, members and supporters.
If you don’t find an answer to your question, please contact Dora Chan: email@example.com or call us at 416-363-0321 ext. 230.
1. Are donations to CCLA tax-deductible?
No. The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is a registered non-profit organization, but does not have charitable status. Membership dues and gifts to CCLA are therefore not eligible for a tax receipt.
CCLA annual membership dues are $75. We offer a special $10 rate for students, as well as sustaining memberships for $150 (Sustaining members are acknowledged every year in our publications, unless they wish to remain anonymous).
2. What are the benefits of a CCLA membership?
When you become a member (or renew your membership), you help strengthen CCLA’s voice as a watchdog and advocacy organization. The more members we have, the more effective we are. Members of the CCLA are also able to participate in the Annual General Meeting, held annually in September in conjunction with the CCLA RightsWatch Conference.
Members receive special rates and discounts for all CCLA events across Canada; receive our annual newsletter NewsNotes in December and the Annual Activities Report in the fall. To become a member, click here!
3. Are donations to CCLET tax-deductible?
Yes. The Canadian Civil Liberties Education Trust is a registed charity (BN# 106844384 RR0001). The Canadian Civil Liberties Education Trust (CCLET) is the public education arm of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.
4. What is the difference between CCLA and CCLET?
CCLA was incorporated in 1964. CCLET was created by CCLA as its charitable educational research arm in 1965. CCLA is focused on litigation, civil liberties monitoring/research and advocacy, CCLET engages in public education, including speeches, presentations, op-eds, as well as delivering programmes in schools and faculties of education. The two organizations share some staff and resources. To learn more about our work, please visit this page.
5. Can I access a record of my donations and personal information?
Yes. In 2011, CCLA/CCLET launched a new system which allows donors to log into a private, secure Supporter Centre. If you made a donation online, you should receive an email with a link and a temporary password. This password is only valid for 24 hours, but you can always send us an email and we will send you a new password.
6. What can I do in the Supporter Centre?
- Update your address/contact information
- Change your mail/email preferences
- Sign up for CCLA email subscriptions
- View a record of your donations (please note that this record will not distinguish between your CCLA and CCLET donations. Please contact us directly if you need that information)
- Monthly donors can update their credit card information
- Monthly donors can change the amount of their recurring donation (Monthly donors to both CCLA and CCLET should contact our office to make these changes)
7. How do I log in to the Supporter Centre?
The Supporter Centre can be accessed through this link: https://secure.commonground.convio.com/canadiancivilliberties/portal/login.html. If you have never logged in before, you will need to request your username/password, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive them.
8. I donated to CCLET, but have not received my tax receipt yet. How can I get a copy?
If you donate to CCLET using our online form, you are able to request that a PDF tax receipt be emailed to you directly. If you select “mail me my tax receipt”, you will receive it within a month.
If you donate to CCLET by mail, but would like to receive your (PDF) tax receipt via email, please contact us. Otherwise, you will receive your tax-receipt in the mail within a month.
Monthly donors to CCLET: you will receive a year-end cumulative tax receipt for all your monthly donations in January for the previous year (e.g. for your donations from January to December 2012, you will receive a tax-receipt by February 2013). (Please note: automated email confirmations are not official tax receipts)
For 2012 donations: If you have not received your tax-receipt by the middle of February, please contact Dora Chan (email@example.com or 416-363-0321 ext. 230) to request a new copy.
9. I would like to make a donation in honour of someone. Is that possible?
Yes. If you are donating online, you can fill out the fields corresponding to honour donations. If you donate by mail or over the phone, please make sure to let us know who is the honouree, if you want them to be notified, a message for the honouree and the best way to reach them. Please contact Dora Chan (firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-363-0321 ext. 230) for further information.
10. I am a monthly donor to CCLA. Does this mean I am a member?
We are pleased to extend membership benefits to monthly donors whose cumulative donations equal at least $75 per calendar year ($6.25/month to CCLA). Please contact us or login to the Supporter Center to check your donation amount.
11. I donate monthly by credit card. May I donate through my chequing account instead?
Yes. Please contact Dora Chan (email@example.com or 416-363-0321 ext. 230) in order to modify your monthly donation.